Happy Tuesday everybody. We’re just three days away from the NHL Draft! Here’s today’s news and links about the Washington Capitals and from around the NHL!
“[Barry Trotz is] going to explain to everybody, it’s not about just me, everybody will have to change,” said Ovechkin, who became the 11th player in NHL history to record five 50-goal campaigns. “We just talked about how he wants to play with me and how he wants to play with the team. We talked about good things — lots of good things, lots of bad things — he sees what he can change with the team and what he can change with my game”
- Ovechkin is also eager for a fresh start. (NHL.com) From the article:
“The whole organization made a big step by firing George, firing Adam,” Ovechkin said Monday during media availability for the 2014 NHL Awards. “The organization wants to make improvements. Thank God they don’t fire me yet. I’m still here with a Capitals jersey. We’ll see.”
Never change Ovi.
- At the NHL awards, all the focus was on Ovechkin meeting new Washington Capitals head coach Barry Trotz. (Washington Post)
- Breaking down the Washington Capitals’ 2014 draft (Bleacher Report)
- The Hockey Hall Of Fame just added four players, so which Caps are worthy? (CSN Washington)
- Washington Capitals assistant coach Calle Johansson is leaving the team for personal reasons. (Washington Post)
- Talking about the second line (Japers Rink)
- There’s a Washington Capitals-themed bar opening in DC. (RMNB)
Around The NHL
- The Flyers had a busy day, trading Scott Hartnell to the Blue Jackets for R.J. Umberger (NHL.com) and signing Brayden Schenn to a two year deal. (Last Word On Sports)
- The Canadiens re-signed defenseman Andrei Markov to a three year deal. (NHL.com)
- The Canucks have hired Willie Desjardins as their new head coach. (NHL.com)
Washington Capitals Birthdays
- A Happy 49th Birthday to former Washington Capitals goalie Alain Raymond.